Motorbike riders rescued from Australian desert

Three motorbike riders were rescued from a remote area of Australia’s Simpson Desert after alerting rescue services using their Ocean Signal rescueME PLB1.
Kevin Chapman, along with two friends, was at the end of the first day of a long-planned crossing of the Simpson Desert, riding through great scenery and terrain, when disaster struck after he went over the bars and hurt his back. After attempting to continue, he eventually found it impossible to carry on due to the pain, which left the three motor cyclists stranded in the middle of the desert in temperatures of about 40 degrees.
After activating their rescueME PLB1 in the afternoon, it was a great relief to see a plane circling overhead at about midnight. As they later discovered, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority had deployed a Dornier search and rescue aircraft to the location of the distress beacon, 214km west of Birdsville. Rescue crews then located the three men at first light the following day and Kevin was airlifted to the Birdsville clinic for treatment.
“Thank goodness we had the rescueME PLB1,” said Kevin Chapman. “Without it things could have been a lot different. I would never undertake a trip like this without one.
“We set the PLB off and waited for help, hoping it had worked. Meanwhile back at home the search and rescue team had been in touch with our families who later said that their communication and support was incredible. The distress signal fired from the device prompted immediate action from Search and Rescue and they were able to pin point our exact location. “We were relieved to see the plane arrive. It was such a relief to know that people were aware of our trouble and help was probably on the way. Around 7am the following morning police and ambulance 4WD vehicles arrived after travelling 9 hours through the night to reach us. The nurse decided due to my injury that a helicopter was the best way to transport me to Birdsville clinic for treatment and within the hour I was airlifted out of there. The rescue team was amazing; it took them a further 12 hours in extremely hot conditions to get back to Birdsville, such a dedicated effort that I will be forever thankful for.”
    An AMSA spokesperson added: “The aircraft is drop-capable so they can open up the back and drop survival equipment out. They dropped communications equipment (to the motorcyclists). It’s good that they had a personal locator beacon to alert AMSA to the fact that they were in trouble. It’s pretty remote out there.”

Teen bush-walker rescued after becoming lost in freezing conditions.

An 18-year-old bush-walker was rescued from the Stirling Ranges in Western Australia after activating his rescueME PLB1.
The teenager became disorientated while walking in wild terrain near Bluff Knoll in the Stirling Ranges National Park, with no food or water with him.
Following the distress call, a police officer was winched into the area, but both men were forced to spend Saturday night in freezing conditions after bad weather had prevented crews from retrieving them.
A break in the weather on Sunday night allowed the officer to be lifted out while another replaced him, before the teenager and the second officer were finally winched to safety. An earlier attempt to winch the teenager into a rescue helicopter on Saturday night was aborted amid poor weather conditions. About 12 volunteers from the State Emergency Service (SES) also attempted to walk to the pair.
Both men were cold, but otherwise unharmed, and were released after a brief medical assessment at the Albany Health Campus.
The teenager said: “The device worked perfectly, with the response time less than 5 minutes, which is when they first tried to contact me on my telephone, as I later found out. The first sight of the helicopter was in 2 to 3 hours after they travelled approximately 400km."
    “The operation was in Western Australia, at a height of 1000 meters in the Stirling Range, weather modelling predicted -5 to -10C minimum temp with wind gusts of 200kph.”